So here I am lying in bed, waiting to fall asleep while my mind drifts, and I have this thought:
I'm reflecting on the Second Great Awakening, when Christianity grew deep and wide in the States. Yet I recall recently reading that Christianity wasn't as commonplace in 19th century America as we presume. Believing this two notions aren't mutually exclusive, I started thinking about how it occurs, how something grows and is prevalent yet isn't mainstream. I compared it to the burst in indie music in the decade. Animal Collective, Bon Iver, Feist, Avett Brothers, Dr Dog, Cold War Kids, are far more successful than they ever could have been in the 90s. Musicians in this realm are developing large, devoted audiences. Yet it is still profoundly easy to meet people who've never heard of them. They aren't mainstream. But they have a large stream of their own.
Then I started wondering if there even is a mainstream at all; if there ever has been - aside from post-counter-culture 1970s when the status quo was reinstated and became desirable again. The ubiquity of conformity, you could say.
Is there a mainstream? Everyone who listens to the aforementioned artists and the like don't really listen to all the artists nominated for Grammy's. At least I presume they don't. The mainstream isn't the main one. It's just another one.
When your iTunes automatically labels "Alternative" to artists as varied as the Sex Pistols, Radiohead, Gemma Hayes, Genesis and Relient K, you start to wonder if there really is any alternative to one thing at all. There can't be if there is no singular, predominant element. There is no mainstream.
This is applicable to much more than music.
Saturday, December 19
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your thoughts have struck a chord with me, Bruce. It makes me think that a lot of times, the "mainstream" depends on one's location. In Portland (and probably Seattle) the majority of people have Obama stickers on their cars and assume that everyone in the city around them is as left-leaning as they are. But if you travel even 30 minutes out of the city, you'll find completely opposite mindsets (evidenced, conveniently, by the bumper stickers).
Then other times, I think everyone recycles (I mean, you'd have to be an idiot not to recycle, right?!). But then you travel to other parts of the country and houses don't have recycling bins! So, whereas I think it's mainstream to recycle, it's probably just the thing to do in Portland.
It's also easy to think, in the "canby house community" that everyone that comes over is a Christian. And so, I've definitely had to change my mindset and stop assuming this.
It's funny because in my mind I always think "I need some more diversity in my life--I need to hang out with people who aren't just like me..." But then when it comes down to it, I like people who are like me! I like hanging out with people who like coffee, and who recycle, and who know how to do crossword puzzles.
I don't really know where I'm going with all of these thoughts. But here they are. :) Thanks for making me think, Bruce. Good stuff.
Post a Comment