Thursday, March 27

jesusland, pt II

"Billboards quoting things you never said" - Ben Folds "Jesusland"

I think I need to explain where I was coming from on the last post about christian books. I have a hard time articulating my thoughts on this...

I believe that Truth is universal and pure. So if I have Truth in my left hand, and untruth in my right, I can't get past their incompatibility. It seems that many Christian authors write about doctrines that, when broken down to their foundations, are not compatible.

When I read lots of Christian books, the disparities between the ideas are the grievous for me to process - or care to process. That's when I put it all to the side and return the Bible, only.

It's not that I don't read Christian books. I just often feel more enriched when I'm reading the Bible and non-religious books. Not always, but often.

Is that more clear?

If you have a recent fascination with Christian books, don't stop reading. shoot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I was reading this, and it's not that I have a fascination with Christian books, but I believe other people are inspired to write too. Often times the bible is so exalt that we miss what it is: a story of how God has worked in the past. Logically, if God has worked in the past, he will work in the future.

So we can't just say "the bible and the bible only," that would put a limitation on what God can do now! But we can say that it is a measuring stick to how God works. If the truth of God is consistent throughout time then we can measure truth vs the bible and maybe even see new light.

Not to continue this nice hefty comment (but I am anyways), but it's like Jesus coming. The past (prophecy) measured the future and the future (jesus) exalted the past. So logically, Jesus Proved the old testament, while the old testament proved Jesus... Kind of paradoxical if you think about it. Luckily there are other proofs for Jesus.

Anyways, I hope this all made sense. Maybe I'll see you guys some day.

-Tyler Riddle-

bruce said...

Tyler!

Thanks for your comment. i love substantial comments. very nice. I comPLETEly agree with you. And that may seem like a paradox in context of what I wrote. I certainly believe in the continued work of God through writing. I hope to be used by him in the future in that respect. I just mean that often times when I read Christian books I feel like lots of ideas conflict. So when I'm lost amidst the ideas, I return to the Bible to straighten it all out - like you say, the measurement of truth - to see if its consistent.