Friday, August 15

I'll Be Wonderin' On

From J A Thompson's The Bible and Archaeology:

"A later writer in the Bible described this first journey of Abraham as one in which 'he went out, not knowing whither he went' (Heb. 11:8b). Recent research suggest quite strongly that it is not in a physical sense that this verse must be applied. There were well-trodden trade routes throughout these lands and we have no reason to think that Abraham left the usual roads when he made his journey. We should rather interpret this verse in a spiritual sense, namely, that having set out at the call of God, he did not quite know where this response was likely to lead him in the end."

Well. I do appreciate this. Perhaps if you've read that text before, you've pictured Abraham rather clueless about his surroundings, and wondering around till he found something. It's good to be reminded that this educated man knew a lot about the world around him. Though he probably knew about Haran, and He probably knew about Palestine, he walked his journey listening to YHWH's guidance, step by step.

This is encouraging to me. I know about the world around me. I know about the music business. But I'm still pretty clueless as to how it will all play out successfully. One step at a time. Listen, hear, follow.

No comments: