Thursday, August 28

The Pursuit of Happiness

I don't desire happiness. Happiness is pleasure derived from a situation. Happiness depends on what happens. If there are any mishaps, happiness is not present. Perhaps without happenstance, I would be hapless and not happy.

I desire peace. Peace does not depend on circumstance. Peace surpasses situations. I can have peace in a crisis. I cannot have happiness in a crisis. (This does not mean I cannot be joyful in a crisis. True joy springs from Peace, not Happiness.)

King David wrote "Seek peace, and pursue it". Chase it. Hunt it down. Wrestle for it. Do not cease the fight without receiving it. Seize it. The Pursuit of Peace.

In the Sermon on the Mount, Jesus Christ said that those who listen to His words and put them into practice are like the man who built his house on the rock. When the storm comes the house still stands. Those who do not practice what they hear from Him are compared to the man who built his house on sand. When the storm comes the house falls.

Happiness is a house founded on sand. Peace is built on a rock.

No comments: