Mary just died.
Here's a lovely snippet Susan Wise Bauer wrote:
"Two years ago, Peter, Paul and Mary came through southeastern Virginia on their final tour, and we bought tickets and took the whole family to see them. I figured then that this would be our last chance. My youngest child was six; she sat up on the back of her seat and yelled, “Puff, the Magic Dragon!” when they started singing. Mary was still recovering from her latest round of chemotherapy. She told us that she had just gone through a bone marrow transplant from a donor who had elected to remain anonymous until the treatment was finished. “Suddenly I thought to myself,” she said, “what if my donor is…a Republican??” (Huge shout of amusement from all the once-upon-a-time hippies in the audience.) “And then I met her. And she was! And she was lovely! And we got to be good friends!” And then she leaned forward and laughed at herself. And then they sang Where Have All the Flowers Gone, and we all sang along."
Thursday, September 17
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment