Friday, January 11

Prison Reading


This book is terrible. Well, it was actually amazing. I read it rather fast because the story was powerful. I just didn't enjoy the writing.

"Prisoner for Christ" is the true story of Robert Huang, a Chinese pastor in Shanghai during Mao's Cultural Revolution. It talks about his eight year imprisonment without trial: how he coped, and how he ministered to those around him. The story is right up there with "Sophie Scholl: the Final Days". I wish that it would become a foreign film. Maybe one day....

The main reason I dislike the writing is that the author talks bad about the protagonist every so often. It's straight up finger-pointing. He accuses him of being deceptive as he read from "the book that teaches against deception". That's a paraphrase. Honestly, this guy is locked up and can't own a Bible, and the author is slapping his hands for sneaking some reads. Then he slaps his hands again when he gets rid of the Bible. Honestly, where does the author stand on it?

The story has a beautiful love story weaving through it. All in all, as every book critic notes about every book: "It was riveting!"

No comments: