Tuesday, July 29

Fresh

A few weeks back I was at Empyrean Coffee Pub in Spokane, scanning their books on the shelf off the cafe stage. I spotted two books that my mom told me to read when I was in high school. I wasn't very interested in the books back then, but this time I was. I asked Chrisy if I could take one "home" (Casey Luport's place) to read. She was cool with it. I read the book in a week or so, and went to the Empyrean to get the other one. Chrisy was once again cool with me bringing it "home" (Zac Fairbanks' place). I finished them both before we left Spokane. For those of you who don't know me well, I read a lot of books at the same time, and make terribly slow progress. I seldom read a book in a week, let alone a month.

The two books are written by Jim Cymbala, the pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle (you may know of the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir). They are part I and III in a sort of trilogy: "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire" and "Fresh Power". Well, I wanted to read part II as well, but no one had it - that is, until yesterday. Yesterday we arrived "home" (Andru and Monica's place) in Mill Creek. One of the first things to do when you get home is to scan the bookshelves of your new housemates to find out what marvelous things you can learn well residing with them. Last night I was scanning the shelf in the guestroom, and BAM: "Fresh Faith" - Number 2!

I feel like God is throwing these books in my lap. The first two I read were deeply impacting. It is rare that I feel so spiritually nourished and rejuvenated from a book. Most books spur the mind; only few spur the heart.

If you come across these books, I recommend you read them - especially "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire". The stories in this book will blow your mind.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know my least favorite favorite thing on the www is?

(did that make sense. OK, let me explain, its not the worse thing on the 'net, there are far worse things, in fact, I love this page, but at the same time dislike it.)

Its YouTube. I hate/love YouTube.

No worse than television. Just as addictive as television, only with a smaller screen. Consumes just as much time as TV.

I do like going to YouTube to look up clips of things I like. But, I hate it when people are just hanging out, and someone suggests "YouTubing"..

See if I'm online in the presence of friends, if we were MySpacing it up, at least we could be bugging each other, having a conversation with comments & communicating with others.

But, when people go to YouTube when they are hanging out in a group, it turns into "hey, you gotta check this out", and "that was funny, but this is way funnier", ect... It becomes the TV without even turning on a TV.

Although... in all honestly, when chilling with people, I think the computer shouldnt be included. It takes away from real conversation, and quality time spent with friends.

Just my two cents. I've been wanting to voice that for quite some time, and to many people.

bruce said...

well, my mysterious friend... i see your point. and i think i agree. it can be really fun sharing videos. but i only enjoy it for about 15 minutes. then i don't really care how funny or fascinating something is.

computers do get in the way. but myspace gets in the way, too. myspace is terrible. and facebook.