Tuesday, July 29

There IS a World Wide Web

When I was twelve I spent almost every afternoon online. This was during what I remember as the launch of the internet into pop culture. With AOL, the internet was more than a scholarly tool, and certainly more than a techie community. Somewhere in high school the internet changed shape. Instead of using Mamma.com, hotbot.com, web-search.com, ask.com etc... I now used just one site: Google.com. Napster collapsed (in a sense), as did a similar but far advanced site that served as a music-based community (shoot, don't remember the name: AudioGalaxy?) Finally, instead of having an AOL account with a personal profile and a buddy list, I had no means to an online community.

Time passed, blogging sites started, and then the big MySpace came (pre-corporate ownership, back when pages for the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and the Tapatio man were amusing and not an ad crusade). MySpace provided a community, with blogging AND music sharing. Brilliant (and tacky). But MySpace and Google became so strong, and so commonplace, that they have affected the way we understand what the internet is. It's like we're watching a 3-D movie with the green and red glasses. One lens is MySpace; the other, Google.

The Problem with MySpace

MySpace is a problem because it consumes your time. Going "online" means going "on MySpace". Before you know it, you've spent a couple hours profile hopping, picture commenting and song choosing. It's easy to get swept up doing nothing. Even easier than watching tv. This is applicable to other social networks (especially Facebook, with it's tedious applications).

The Problem with Google

Google is a problem because it only finds what you look for. It doesn't clue you in on all the online communities and resources that are out there. It helps you find your favorite band's website, or perhaps information for a school paper.

Truth is, the World Wide Web (you know, the "www" we no longer type) is huge, and is filled with so much colorful, fascinating information. There are so many things we could learn, but we waste our time accomplishing nothing.

The Problem with Wikipedia

I just had to throw this in. Just remember, Wikipedia is not necessarily objective. I think it is often mass subjectivity. Remember... ANYONE can put things on Wikipedia. ANYONE. It's just as possible for it to be a septic tank as it is to be buried treasure. It's helpful for a brief understanding, or an intro into something. But I don't think it should be taken as authoritative.

There you go. Not particularly spiritual or musical. But this has just been in my head after spending the last few hours reading fascinating things online.

No comments: