I've heard that the word "run" has more definitions than any other English word. Perhaps second on the list is "god". "God" can be a person, a force, a pretty poetic concept, me, you, us when we're together, an orgasm, ultimate reality, illusion, everything, nothing. The definitions get wacky and they tend to contradict each other. But we continue to use the word as though we all mean the same thing.
I dislike using the word. What if I called you "Person"? "Hey, Person! How ya been?"
The Bible presents an alternative. The god of the Bible has names - Elohim, Yahweh, El Shaddai, Adonai, Jehovah-Jirah, Emmanuel, Jesus Christ, Shiloh, Rose of Sharon, Bright and Morning Star, Ancient of Days. The god of the Bible has role-filling names - Saviour, Deliverer, Healer, Redeemer, Judge, Wonderful Counselor, Prince of Peace, Everlasting Father, Creator.
And here we are, calling Him "god", ignoring His beauty, forgetting who He is.
Sunday, April 12
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
in 1st Grade I used to call my teacher "Teacher"... I don't recall why, but perhaps her name was difficult for me to pronounce. Anyway, she hated it, and insisted on calling me "Student" until I started using her name. And I didn't really care.
The lesson I learned from this is that I'll always use people's names.
another one of those words that has way too many meanings and probably isnt used correctly most of the time is.... LOVE.
Good point. I LOVE that you brought that up. ;-)
Post a Comment