Monday, October 19
Song of the Week: "Whiskey Flowers"
I have been on a Karli kick lately. Listening to her a ton. First off, I hear her new album almost every time I ride anywhere with Nate. But on the side I've been listening to Bitter Blue, her EPs, her Christmas albums, and her 4-piece all-girl accordion side project. It never occurred to me before, but she's done a remarkable job of giving enough music to her fans. Other artists deprive you. She always has something new to listen to, and I'm thankful.
Though "Tired Tune" is my favorite song of hers, "Whiskey Flowers" has been in my head over the previous weeks. It is an excellent piece of music. The way the chords move are captivating enough to stand alone. But her melody and lyrics and instrumentation and arrangement all create a marvelous song (Tommy actually quoted part of the song at one of our shows). I've also been listening to "Away in a Manger", "Silent Night" and "Come Thou Long Expected Jesus" frequently.
I'm fortunate enough to not just be a fan of Karli's music, but to be her friend, too. She's been a part of my inner circle of musician friends since my band starting taking things seriously. We met her at our first show in Spokane. She designed the cover of "Let Those Who Have Ears Hear", did something similar to touring with us in 2007, helped us build an audience in Spokane, encouraged us last year when we were trying to figure out what kind of music we play ("you're in a genre crisis. but if anyone can make it work, you guys can."), and most recently, recorded our latest EP, Freeze & Thaw.
Karli is a true friend with a good heart, an excellent musician with a bright future. I'm flippin proud of what she's accomplished in the past two years.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing the video of whiskey flowers. I enjoyed it very much as it is one of my favourite. Keep on sharing some more tracks of him.
Post a Comment