When I was a kid, if someone asked me why I did or didn't do something I would say "because I'm a __________(religion / belief system)". Now, I'd say "because I believe _________ (belief about the matter)". I think our common consideration for others actions are the child version - "They do this because they're a Sikh", or "They don't do that because they're Mormons". When, really, maybe they are a Sikh because doing this thing is important to them. Maybe they're a Mormon because it lines up with their value system. Maybe they're a Jew because they truly believe the Torah is holy. Maybe they don't just believe it's holy because they're a Jew.
Pickin up what I'm putting down?
[afterthought: when I say "belief" I don't mean a sentimental desire for the matter to be truth, but an intellectual and/or spiritual conviction.]
Friday, April 23
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment