Sunday, April 11

liszt.

work hard.
sleep well - not too long, not too short.
eat balanced meals.
read a book a week.
read as few recent novels as you can.
dress simply.
keep your home clean.
take long baths. use the time to read if you'd like.
spend your recreation time well. don't waste it on stressful entertainment.
don't watch blockbuster movies unless the story isn't recycled.
exercise self-control.
have thick pajamas, and thin pajamas.
drink caffeine-free tea if you want to relax at night.
work in your yard when the sun's out.
learn history, theology and philosophy, so your worldview isn't a product of the times.
increase your vocabulary. with new words come new ideas.
listen to jazz. don't like it? start with dave brubeck.
listen to classical.
drink water more than anything else.
don't download music illegally unless it's a try-before-you-buy or you already own the vinyl.
look at maps.
go on walks or ride your bike.
pray for your friends.
brush your teeth.
use deodorant.
don't facebook or tweet too much. take a break.
live off of less than you earn.
give.
learn an instrument.
make mix cds for friends.
read poetry. not the fluffy stuff.
think. think. think.
be aware of your behavior.
hang out with somebody new.
go to towns you haven't been to before and explore them.
walk to the tops of mountains. big ones.
go to the ballet. and musicals.
don't play games too much. but also, play games with people.
have deep conversations.
have light conversations.
repent.
wash your sheets.
don't blog too much.
don't text too much.
seek wisdom.
cook.
rearrange your room every so often.
if you're single, enjoy it for all it's worth.
if you're taken, make sure it's something good.

what you wear, what you eat, what you listen to, what you know, how you decorate your home, how you vacation, what you do or don't do doesn't make you any more special than anyone else. don't try to give yourself value by these silly, trivial things. Seek YHWH. Know YHWH. Walk with YHWH.

Learn the teachings of Jesus and follow them.

7 comments:

Katrina Kubo said...

Thanks for this delightful and admirable post! The last section reminded me of a paragraph from an old journal of mine I found the other night -

"I am not defined by the things I like or the things I am into. There is no measure by which I rule my 'coolness' I am not defined by the things I make or find
the movies I watch
the music I listen to
the clothing I wear
the things that I can or cannot do

I am Yours. You are my definition. I am defined by the love that I give unconditionally, passionately, non-exclusively to Your people."

Anonymous said...

well... I never reorganize my "room" (everything already fits as is), I never change my sheets (too much work & required tipping my mattress on its side -- dont ask), and the last time I read in the bath... my AP Stylebook also took a bath ;-)

Still I really enjoyed reading this. Gives something to chew on.

Anonymous said...

p.s. the first part of this (the list), somewhat reminds me of the song "Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)".

Unknown said...

this really reminded me of the radiohead song "fitter happier" but with a happier spin

tawny. said...

bruce! i love this.
i can never be reminded of these things enough!
thanks :)

TIP TOP said...

what a great post! thanks :)

bruce said...

why thanks, friends.

cara- halfway through writing it, i realized it was getting pretty Fitter, Happier. hah.