Snap! I haven't really bought much for anybody. Terrible!
And, tomorrow... plenty of snow starting at 11 am. So we'll see what Thursday morning is like. Maybe I'll personally postpone Christmas. Enter bad movie plot.
Read this over at democracynow.org:
"The Associated Press has revealed that many of the nation’s largest banks are claiming they can’t track how they’re using the billions of dollars they have received in aid from US taxpayers. The Associated Press contacted twenty-one banks that received at least $1 billion in government money and asked four questions: How much has been spent? What was it spent on? How much is being held in savings? And what’s the plan for the rest? None of the banks provided specific answers. When Congress approved the massive bailout, it attached nearly no strings to the money, and the Treasury Department never asked the banks how it would be spent."
wow. That's brilliant money management, government.
Also:
"The Iraqi journalist who threw his shoes at President Bush last week said through his lawyer that he will not apologize for his actions. Muntazar al-Zaidi has been held in prison for over a week. His attorney said al-Zaidi has been subjected to repeated beatings in jail. He has internal bleeding in his left eye, as well as bruises over his face and stomach."
So enough of the arrogant "The US has created a government in which he can express himself. He should thank us". pshh. Really? I think you can throw your shoe in any form of government. No one's stopping you. It's just an issue of the consequences. And what he's facing doesn't seem to be so swell. I'd hope that if I threw a shoe at, let's say, Putin, that I wouldn't be beat in jail here in America. But then American Prison Ethics haven't been remarkable lately. Right, Gitmo? ::wink wink, nudge nudge::
Anyhow. I've been blogging a ton lately. But then, I am in a town where I only know five people. I'll try to keep it interesting.
Tuesday, December 23
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh, you really got my gander up with that talk of the Iraqi "shoe-thrower"and Gitmo. I can't tell you how sad I am at the use of torture explicitly and implicitly condoned by this country! It makes me sick. I throw my shoes at torture and the machines that require it!!
I'm with you. It really upsets me. I've read a couple accounts of the prisoners. It's absolutely unacceptable what we've done.
Post a Comment