Tuesday, December 30

The Measure of a Life

My thoughts through this year are culminating with a question of perspective, a question of "-isms". Idealism vs Realism. Other isms aside, these would be the main two. I'm an Idealist - but not a pie-in-the-sky idealist. I think I've given ear to plenty cynicism and skepticism to ground my idealism within the boundaries of plausibility.

But you can't deny I'm an idealist. It's what's behind the phrase "livin' the dream!" I oft hear when I relate my life. If I were a realist in the music business, I'd become a lawyer or an accountant. But I'm a performer.

Realism is a hard drink to swallow for an idealist, but it's a healthy drink. Ideally, the two would be 50/50 (like those red and green 3-D glasses); Realistically, naturally, one takes precedence. And that's the bum part of it all. Realism is bound to natural law. It has the upper hand from the get-go. If we lived in Ideality, instead of Reality, then I'd be right at home. Alas, we don't.

Yet, pure realists have got to have it bad, right? Realists don't dream, or dare. Realists don't risk. And risk is everything! How can we live abundantly without risks?

Still, what risks are worthy of being taken? If you risk your worldly possessions, does the import of probability diminish if the value of rewards increase? What is the equation? If you risk your heart, is it justified by being honest to everything you know and feel, regardless of everything else in the matter? If you sit at home gluing the pieces afix for months or years, is that irrelevant in the light of the truth you lived out in your choices? Is that burden you're left with truly worthwhile? How long before the light retreats and the honesty you pursued feels like a betrayal?

Now, is realism the destiny of a level-headed idealist? Don't all idealists who risk and fail receive a cold embrace from cynicism? We walk away either embittered or delusional, right? Or, perhaps, I speak out of cynicism and not idealism, and I'm compromising the integrity of the word itself by being befuddled, as to where I am, at the offset. Cynicism and Realism are not one and the same, and Cynicism and Idealism are not mutually exclusive.

Yet, does my perspective change the truth of the matter? It becomes a different battle: Absolutism vs. Relativism. Is not empirical evidence mere subjectivity with a title approved by academia? Is not objectivity an illusion, a mass compound of the subjectivity of the majority? Or of the subjectivity of the outspoken, at least? Is that not what Bonaparte said about the veracity of the entirety of History? It seems that the Age of Enlightenment has left us knowing less, while we question more. And perhaps that is why so many take comfort in the questions themselves - because we've started asking what cannot be answered.

And then, we are all, to varying degree, influenced by the dominant paradigm of our generation. But that's tangential.

Is the value of a life determined by how long it's lived, how well it's enjoyed, or what it accomplishes? Do we feel we must justify our existence by giving ourselves a cause to fight for? It now becomes another battle: Egoism vs Altruism. If I live sacrificially to benefit others on a large scope, is that greater than if I live simply and plainly for my family and for myself? Maybe that's where a measure of Relativism becomes necessary. Perhaps I am generalizing a matter in absolutes, when it doesn't belong there.

Even still, is the purpose of a life to be understood in terms of its value, in the first place? Is there an interconnectedness between meaning and value? Perhaps value is inherent: it does not need to be sought, it is there. And, perhaps, meaning is not there at all, and cannot be found.

Does this sound like utter ambivalence to you? What are your thoughts?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh geeze...what a can of worms in my brain you have opened. not ambivalence at all. great things to think about. i appreciate the post.

not quite sure what to say about it. but i tend to think that being in the very center of the idealism vs. realism battle is the worst place to be. nothing will ever get done at that point. i don't think we can live and make choices (i'm not speaking on moral ground here...but more generally if that makes sense, obviously there are specific black and white marks as christians we are to live by) knowing that we will be measured in amounts of happiness or fulfillment or joy. it's kind of like recording as a musician...you always play it better (at least as a beginner) when the red light is not glowing. keeping tabs, even on yourself can have adverse affects, not to mention on other people.

i would like to bring another fight into the mix that definitely has important effects on the others. Negative vs. Positive. If we look back on our years and actions and see the light and joy, how will that change our measuring stick versus looking back on things and only seeing the shadowed, bitter side? I am currently struggling with that over my past year. So many great things happened, but i tend to overwhelm myself and get caught up with the emotion of the negative things when really the positive should win. but then again there's the whole concept of learning from your mistakes and logging your failures with purpose to overcome. so who knows!!! ahhh!

thanks for getting me thinking. (:

Anonymous said...

Without dreamers, we would stay where we are. Without practical application, the dreams would remain dreams.

I for one can't say one person should be somewhere in the spectrum....because one person can't do it all. We need realists and idealists, and they need to work together.

This is a very good blog my friend.

Searching for the meaning of my true self. said...

I think Karli worded it perfected when she said it is the worst place to be at when you are stuck between the realist vs idealist debate. One that I have fought with constantly. However, it is a battle that doesn't linger for that long for me at least. The idealist in me is always constantly dreaming and ever thankfully positive however the realist in me finds the harsh reality of the world we live in to be draining and monotonous.

The idealist in me sometimes can get carried away but thankfully I have family and friends that know how to bring me back down gently.

Does that make sense?

TIP TOP said...

i like the part best where you said 'the Age of Enlightenment has left us knowing less, while we question more' and how we find comfort in the questions themselves. it's so true!
also quite fitting in that almost this entire post is a list of questions questioning questions :)

the truth is, there never can be one answer for everyone because we are all so different, not in that there is no absolute truth (there is), but that God has made us each wonderfully different, which in reality is what makes life interesting, and ultimately we are happiest when we find the balance in working with each other in our differences, whether they be realistic, idealistic, etc.

people are so interesting! and knowlege is infinite. how nice.

bruce said...

hmmm, karli. some good thoughts for me to chew on.

As far as the negative vs. positive... I always try to keep my thoughts, and my words, constructive and not destructive. But it doesn't always fly that way. I screw up.

I think learning the balance between learning from our mistakes / bad choices and not being brought down by them is one of the most important things we could achieve.

Concerning idealists and realists, Charles, I agree. It's important that there are both. Well put.

Yasi Xu said...

There could be a balance between realism and idealism in a case that one's dream happens to be practical and "down to earth". And that seems to be too ideal. I'm sure everyone has at least a small piece of a idealist in them. But life is immensurable. And thus we need both "isms". The point is not to take it negatively. You have complaints towards life no matter who you are, idealist or realist. I'm grateful that we can live and dream with the imperfectness. Yet, an imperfect life is perfect. Because that causes us to think and to help others, the imperfectness nature of life has done so much that we can be more thankful for the goodnesses.

this post reminded me of Ayn Rand's "Fountainhead". And the paragraph about risk reminded me of SOA's slogan "Risk is opportunity", which is so random and irrelavent =D

jamila said...

this here entry and the comments left me gobsmacked! it's been a while since that happened or since i've used such a random word.

for the first time i feel like i've finally sampled a sliver of your thought process. phenomenal. there's so much brewing right now but i basically agree with charles.

. . . and your questions questioning questions are a manifestation of to whom you love and belong.
well done you.

i like the notion that we all have our own place in the spectrum. everyone is who they are for such a reason reason. for variety and within this spectrum we find the birth, translation and realization of ideas. togehter we are all" the dreamers of dreams and the makers of music. "-willy wonka.